Friday, August 18, 2006

Pandora's (music) Box

I recently discovered the Pandora internet radio, and what a revelation it has been ! You can create and edit stations and then rate songs/artists/etc. This will then tune your listening habits and play songs that are similar in composition, artists, style, etc...and each time you rate/specify that you like/dislike songs/artists it gets better ! Feels like you have hand-picked each and every song they play ! Uncanny ! Pandora has its origins in the music genome project that has hundreds, if not thousands, of attributes for each song, artist and album...here is their tagline...
Can you help me discover more music that I'll like?
makes a lot of sense doesn't it ?

Sometimes it throws up music that you may not have heard of otherwise, an eclectic mix that just makes you sit up, and want to...well, listen some more !

For example, I recently heard the song Black and Gold (from the album Picks us Apart)by the Jim Yoshii Pile up, and I was stunned ! A great song and I am sure a wonderful album that will hopefully go down in music history as being legendary...

Well, you can also create RSS feeds for your favourite stations/songs/artists, etc. Check out the links for the same on the sidebar, under the title "My Music".

4 comments:

brij said...

Serendipity is really working overtime. I was just going to start a search for such a station that would also hand to me a RSS feed. Thanks mate!

brij said...

Sadly I cannot register as it is legally allowed only for US residents:(

Sib said...

Brij, that sucks...I didn't know they had such restrictions...odd...but when it is made available to everyone, you should try it !

Anonymous said...

pandora was decent when i first tried it out but after a while the playlist was not akin to my taste.i did find last.fm to be a better match.but my pick is www.radioblogclub.com allows you to create your own playlist and it has a massive amount of songs online.
for more weird al fun,check out http://weirdalnewsong.ytmnd.com