Friday, April 28, 2006

Microsoft's Linux Lab!

No, that's not a mistake or a typo or something out of an alternate reality...Microsoft does have an open-source/linux lab ! I got this news from my lab-mate and I was stunned...really, superlatives fail me...for a while I thought that he was trying to pull a fast one on me...but it exists !

The page though, is a place for the folks who work in the lab to express their thoughts, ideas, etc. Now, what will the open source community do ? I mean, now that MS is a part of their community, how can they drive themselves ? For a long time, taking on the behemoth at Seattle was part of the drive for a lot of folks...so, I guess this would probably cause a lot of people some existential anguish ! (chuckle ! chuckle !)

Hey, don't get me wrong...I'm not taking sides...my philosophy is simple : use whatever technology/platform you require to solve your problem at hand...sometimes its Unix/Linux...sometimes its Windows...heck if only Visual Studio's editor could have vi's capabilities ! I guess some things are too much to wish for.

But I guess this tops the list of my "the times they are a changin' " series.

Previous posts on "the times they are a changin'" series : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

No comments: